Tuesday 9 October 2018

Seeing the World

“Happy birthday!”

Confetti and cheers exploded as I opened the door to my home. My parents blew the party horns with all their might and my friends dragged me inside and threw me on to my weathered yellow sofa. The apartment walls were covered with big balloons and the floor was now buried in glitter.

My girlfriend popped out, carrying a tall white cake with yellows swirls with the number 25 glazed on top. Someone started to sing the birthday-song and everyone quickly joined. I nodded along and waved my hands like a conductor, my face split in a wide grin. The cake was cut and handed to everyone, except for me. Instead, a pair of sunglasses plopped down on my lap. They probably were from an expensive brand since everyone encouraged me to try them on.

It didn’t block that much of the light, I could see my girlfriends face clearly, especially her hair grabbed my attention with...
I blinked, removed the glasses, looked at her hair. Put my glasses on. Inspected again.

Everyone held their breath while I did this. The cacophony from before had become tense with expectation.

I reached out, touched the hair. Stroked it.

“Is this red?” I asked.

“More of a dark orange,” she said, smiling.

“It’s so...full,” I continued. “It’s so beautiful.”

Eyes watched me as I looked around. I pointed to one of the balloons, a strange paradox of blue mixed with shades of light and dark. “What’s that?”

“That’s purple, dear.”

“Really, that’s purple? I never knew.” My gaze landed on my dad’s shirt. “I never knew there were so many greens.”

“If you want to see real red, look at your shirt, son.”

I looked down and jumped. It was so screamy. I never knew that a colour could be so screamy, a colour that craved so much attention.

“Look at the cake, look at the cake!” someone else said.

My girlfriend handed me a plate with a bit of the cake. The outside wasn’t white anymore. It had some of my shirt and my significant other’s hair mixed inside. It was pleasant to the eyes.

“Is that...pink?” I asked my girlfriend. She nodded.

I sat stunned, staring around my apartment in awe. “Is this how you see the world?”

A pair of arms embraced me and my focus was filled with eyes of the most beautiful green I’ve ever experienced.

“Yes,” she said again. “And now we can see it together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment