Wednesday 15 August 2018

Reddit Flash Fiction - Lakeshore and Birthday Candles

Source where you can read other redditors wonderful submissions

* * *

The kayak wobbled and almost toppled me into the clear water. I pushed the paddle into the shallows to regain some balance, but the small bag on my side fell overboard during the tumult. I jumped into the piercing cold water and grabbed hold of the bag, clutching it close to my chest.
I’ve always had a fear of water. I remember that I bawled my eyes out when school had a swim-day and my older brother had to cradle me to his chest, silencing me with half of his donut. While he rocked me back and forth, I noticed how loud his heart sounded. He explained that his heart beat strongly because he had so much he wanted to do. Didn't have time to worry about any fears.
He was always the adventurous one, talking about traveling the whole wide world with eyes that matched the intensity of the sun. He dreamt big enough for both of us.
It felt good when I returned back to the shore and stood on solid ground. Droplets of water dripped from my hair while it gushed from the bag. The contents were spoiled. The matches and the birthday candles drenched and the donut soggy.
I pierced the snack with the candles and placed it on top of the shore water. My fingers slid across the surgical scars on my chest as I watched the waves grab the donut and sail away.
My brother’s heart thumped strongly inside me.

* * *


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment